Information About Bags,belts,caps,antiq items,fastion,matel craft,and ETC

Monday, February 18, 2008

Back to Reality

Mandvi, Gujrat:-I have my family to thank for a lot of things, but on top of the list is teaching me to speak in my mother tongue. Being able to speak Gujrati has made such a remarkable difference in my ability to develop a relationship and solicit responses from the artisans and producers I’m working with here in Gujarat (in comparison to Mumbai). We all know I have a corky sense of humor, but believe it or not, my humor actually translates across cultures and it is such a relief that in addition to enjoying a cup of masala chai, I am also able to joke around and make people laugh. Having spent a day and a half with VGS, I made my mama proud – I was asked how I spoke such beautiful gujrati.

When I visited a fashion scarves producer in Mumbai, I was a little jolted to find out that the firm doesn’t make a single product. They are simply a wholesale distributor/exporter – I’m not even sure all of their products are handmade. Any stitching work, embroidery work, etc. is outsourced. So I am a bit confused why a Fair Trade organization would work with a firm that has no direct impact on the actual scarf weavers. I hope to clarify this with Asha during my exit presentation. I’m sure there is more to the story than I am aware of.

No comments:

Design by: Prakash